They've put in innumerable hours of sweat, blood and tears to get where they are today. They are among the best of the best and are ready to prove their mettle. 529 athletes from 45 states will represent the United States at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
They are competing in events as diverse as athletics, fencing, rowing, soccer and basketball. For these Virginia athletes, the Games are the culmination of all the hard work and dedication they've put in.
Here are a few quick facts about your Northern Virginia Olympians!
Sex : Male
Event / position / class : 68kg
Age : 25
From : Alexandria
Sex : Male
Event / position / class : Eight
Age : 29
From : Annandale
Event / position / class : 800m free
From: Great Falls
Competing in field hockey
Event / position / class : Defense
Age: 28 (she'll turn 29 on July 29)
Competing in Swimming
Event / position / class : 800m free relay
Also from Virginia:
- Francena McCorory, Hampton, in the 400m
- William Coleman, Hampton, in equestrian eventing
- Gabrielle Douglas, Virginia Beach, in gymnastics
- LaShawn Merritt, Portsmouth, in the 400 m
- Caroline Nichols, Virginia Beach, in field hockey
- Reid Priddy, Richmond, volleyball
- Shannon Taylor, Midlothian, field hockey
- Kellie Wells, Richmond, 100m hurdles
Looking for a way to celebrate the Olympics locally? You can find local events for Olympic Fun Day on July 28 on the Let’s Move website, which has a page about how to set up your own local Olympics.