Sixty residents are without homes after a two-alarm blaze broke out late Monday night at the Chatsworth Apartments in the Manassas-area.
Prince William Fire and Rescue firefighters arrived just before 11 p.m. at the complex at 11211 Lady Jane Loop.
The first firefighters on the scene decided to call for backup after finding themselves facing a third-floor fire that was quickly moving on to the roof of the building.
When extra support arrived, a portion of the roof collapsed, separating and disorienting the team and injuring some firefighters, Prince William Fire reports show.
The third floor crew issued a mayday and ground crews responded to the floor where the entire team was reunited.
Firefighters left the building and decided to use aerial ladders to fight the fire from a safe distance.
After the blaze was under control, the teams returned to the building and used hose lines to continue fighting the fire.
Though only two units in one of the two 12-unit buildings were affected by the fire, officials deemed both buildings unsafe.
About 20 of the 24 units were rented.
Prince William Police were outside assisting with crowd control and traffic around the burning complex while Red Cross volunteers assisted the 60 displaced residents.
Two firefighters were transported to a medical facility for observation after the blaze. One volunteer firefighter was treated on the scene for a foreign object in his eye, Manassas Volunteer Fire Chief Matt Lausch said.
Two other volunteers suffered second-degree burns and went to the hospital for treatment Tuesday morning after the burns began to blister, he added.
One resident was taken to a hospital after showing symptoms of smoke inhalation, according Prince William Fire and Rescue reports.
Fire officials said the blaze caused some $300,000 in damage.
The cause of the blaze hasn't yet been determined.
Were you there during the Chatsworth Apartments fire? Leave your comments, photos and videos under this story.