Smoking coming from a heating ventilation and air conditioning unit prompted the brief evacuation of Cougar Elementary School early Monday morning, Manassas Park Fire and Rescue assistant chief and fire marshal Mark Joyner said.
The call went out at 7:30 a.m. for firefighters to respond to the school located in the Blooms Crossing neighborhood of the small city.
Firefighters discovered a faulty belt on an HVAC unit inside the building caused smoke to be dispelled into the school, Joyner said.
The school was briefly evacuated, but classes continued as normal on Monday.
Get your news daily in your inbox with a free subscription to the Manassas Park Patch newsletter. Click here to get it.