Heat Advisory: Thursday Could Feel Like 105 Degrees
Stay inside if possible.
The National Weather Service has isssued a heat advisory from noon until 8 p.m. Thursday for Manassas Park and Northern Virginia.
Forecasted temperatures for the area are expected to be in the upper 90s but heat index values will make Thursday feel as hot as 105 degrees.
What's a heat advisory?
"A heat advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is expected," said an NWS alert. "The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun and check on relatives and neighbors."
Do you know the signs of heat exhaustion?
- Complaints of light headedness/dizziness
- Altered mental status/ “clouded judgment”
- Rapid pulse
- Extreme or limited amounts of sweating
NWS offers the following tips for staying cool:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Stay out of the sun
- Stay in an air-conditioned room
- Reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or late evening
- Wear light-weight and loose fitting clothing when possible
- If you must work outdoors, schedule frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned areas.
Where to Stay Cool in Town